Statistical History of Animals Gassed
- In 1992: 13,606 Dogs/Puppies were gassed, with a break down of 40-60 animals daily.
- In 1998 : 13,202 Dogs/Puppies were gassed, with a break down of 40-60 animals daily.
- In 2004: 7,119 Dogs/Puppies were gassed, with a break down of 22-32 animals daily.
- In 2008: 4,848 Dogs/Puppies were gassed, with a break down of 15-25 animals daily.
- The Cat/Kitten information has not been stored, but their estimates are almost double the amount of Dogs/Puppies.
There are seven total cells and each cell holds the dogs brought in on that particular day. The facility is very clean - they wash down the cells twice a day and sanitize/disinfect. The dogs get fed twice a day and there is usually enough food for all in the cell, however, there is sometimes food aggressive dogs and the younger, weaker, or submissive dogs do not get enough to eat.
History and Background of Ozato
- Ozato’s nickname comes from the village where it is located, Ozato Village.
- The actual name of Ozato is the Okinawa Prefectural Animal Protection and Control Center.
- Ozato is a Japanese Government run animal facility (kill-shelter).
- In 1969 Ozato was formed out of a make shift office to help control the stray population.
- By 1977 Ozato become a government supported entity with its own facility.
- In 1995 Ozato started holding adoption events for locals every Wednesday, which still exists today.
- In 2005 Ozato established Animal Protections Laws to protect the animals of the island.
- Ozato is in charge of all of the stray animals on island including outer lying islands near Okinawa, Japan.
Cat in a holding cage. It will stay here util the owner claims or it is gassed.
The first date is the date the animal came in. The second date is the last day the owner has to claim that animal.
Cats only get 4 working days for their owners to claim them. They usually gas cats at least twice a week and the sad thing is that animal control doesn't actively go out to collect stray cats.
The puppy room where puppies are kept. Also kept in here are dogs that may be micro chiped or "dangerous dog"